Sunday, May 16, 2010

Canberra Capers

I flew down to Canberra on Friday evening to spend the weekend with R and, of course, to go to the very excellent Old Bus Depot Markets. This weekend was the Celebration of Wool.



We met up with some of the Sydney contingent on Saturday evening for dinner in Kingston. I wish I had got a photo of the sign in the restaurant forbidding us from standing on the tables, but I would have had to stand on a table to get it.....






Sunday was crisp and clear (at least in Kingston).

We had arranged to meet at 9.30 and here we are -

well, Margarita, Gemma, Catherine and me at any rate:





Randomknits had already tweeted that she and Knitabulous were by the mulled wine so we followed our noses





Pretty, pretty yarn! The stall looked great - very professional and really stood out amongst the others. I can't resist Ailsa's Fifty Fifty and so the aptly named "Vintage Lady" - a delicate pink -was purchased.




On the upper level, I came across another fantastic looking stall - Buttontree Lane and Fibrewebs.







I fell in love with the elephant print sack bags so one came home with me.




And some buttons from the button stall




There was so much lovely yarn and I looked, and fondled

but actually didn't buy much else.


I got a skein of Polwarth wool and
another of Polwarth wool & Silk from Tarndwarncoort . And some silk from Glenora which I forgot to photograph.




I trailed around after Margarita for a while and ran into a good friend which was an unexpected bonus. I caught up with Margarita and Tia before heading out to Lambert Vineyards for lunch and then the flight home to Sydney.




So I am feeling pretty good about the amount of yarn acquisition - I certainly came in well under budget. It was great to be amongst so many knitters and fibre enthusiasts. It was an inspiring morning seeing so many lovely projects on display on the stalls and on people at the markets. One advantage of the cooler Canberra climate is that it is perfect for shawls, scarves, cowls, mittens and hats!

4 comments:

  1. That just looks like way too much fun!!!

    And under budget - not on


    love the pink 50/50 and I am keen to pat the polworth


    YAY for yarn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, so envious!! Hopefully I'll get there next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was great to see you Sue!! :D It was a great day.

    Good thing you didn't stick around for Monday.. it was a very cold and dreary morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know who was trailing who?? ...but dinner and Wool Festival were FAB!!
    I love your elephant bag, that stall was lovely and I must say I'm kicking myself not buying myself some of those lovely bags... I'm thinking there's always next year if I can wait that long?? ;D

    ReplyDelete