Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Oops! I did it again......




Ran out of yarn, that is.






You will have observed that there has been a dearth of knitting activity since I got back from my trip. I decided that the Knitabulous Merino sock yarn that had been trying to become Boteh was, in fact, wanting to be a (ravlink) Travelling-Woman shawl. So I cast it on and all was going well. Until I came to cast off and, forty stitches short of the end of the row, I've run out of yarn.







I'm not sure that I'm all that enamoured of the shape as it seems rather shallow and wide, although I guess that blocking would improve it. I have a few options:



  1. See if anyone has a few metres of the yarn to spare


  2. Throw myself on Ailsa's mercy


  3. Add a border in a contrasting colour (this has some appeal)


  4. Frog it

If I were to knit this again I would increase the plain section and possibly knit it in a simple lacy stitch. And I think that it is probably better knit in a silkier yarn although it does show off the colours of this yarn quite beautifully.

2 comments:

  1. Running out of yarn at the very end is becoming a habit. OK, my vote goes 2 (but only if Ailsa has some hiding away), 1, 3 (but in a toning rather than contrasting colour), then 4 as an absolute last resort. Ignore this if you wish - I think the best thing about others giving advice is that it clarifies what it is YOU really want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surfing over from Rosered's blog. I've been on a shawl kick for the last few months and have done six. Found Travelling Woman the other day and am using some Bendigo luxury for it. As it's such a big ball, I've done 13 repeats across and will do four repeats of chart A. Finished the stocking stitch about an hour ago s haven't yet started the lace.

    Have your seen the Percy shawl? That looks interesting too.. Don't have link handy, but a search will find it easily.

    ReplyDelete