So last weekend was the Australian Wool and Sheep Show at Bendigo. Bells, DrK and Randomknits have already blogged about the weekend and about their travels in country Victoria.
I flew to Melbourne on Friday afternoon and drove out to Bendigo to the house I was sharing with DrK, Bells, Jody and her mum and aunt. Friday evening we went to the Ravelry event at the Bendigo Bowling Club. So many knitters and so many amazing knitting garments! It was great fun pattern spotting and quite made up for inadequate catering.
On Saturday, I headed off to the Bendigo Showgrounds in some fear and trepidation that there would be nothing left after the hordes had descended the previous day. Of course there was plenty to look at, pore over and eventually purchase. So much lovely yarn but I was fairly restrained. Despite the cool day everyone was in great spirits and the general atmosphere was upbeat and cheerful.
I have never actually seen a sheep sheared before so I greatly enjoyed the sheep shearing competition. I love watching sheepdog trials and spent some time watching the dogs put through their paces. By that time I was really cold - despite the Cranford mitts etc - so made my way back to the house to warm up and catch up with the election news. I cast on the Lacy Kerchief Scarf as a reward for not buying too much at the show.
On Sunday I packed my bags and got ready to head back to Melbourne and home to Sydney. I had a bit of spare time so set off for Bendigo Pottery. I bought a teapot and a plain but lovely salad bowl for me and a vase which is a Christmas present.
Here is the yarn I bought at the Show in the salad bowl


It was a good weekend but I feel that I missed out on a lot by not spending more time there. I've been to Daylesford a couple of time before and know that there is so much else to discover in this part of the world. Sadly, I didn't get to the Bendigo Mills as I ran out of time on Saturday so the famous backroom is still a mystery to me.
And I think that I would have enjoyed it all a lot more had I had a travelling companion. Next time I'll be better organised and plan to stay for longer.

I love your low fat yarn salad, it's VERY nice indeed!
ReplyDeleteShame your holiday wasn't as fulfilling as expected but you scored well.
Next year we'll both be there :D
hmm. inadequate catering. very diplomatically put. you were very restrained, but lovely purchases. i agree, if i go again i would make much more of what that fabulous region has to offer. was lovely to spend some time with you!
ReplyDeleteYou were very restrained! I think you are right, it's good to travel with someone, for a whole bunch of reasons. And Victoria does have a lot to offer the tourist (not just yarn!!). I'd like to go back there and poke around for a few weeks I think.
ReplyDeleteI think a longer more leisurely trip would be great; we were talking about the same thing on the way back. Like fly to Melbourne, spend a night and a day there looking at yarn stores, a night in Daylesford, two nights in Bendigo, one in Kyneton on the way back.
ReplyDeleteI've been to Bendigo three times now (only twice to the sheep and wool) but I'd like to walk around the lake, go to the gallery and see a few of the attractions in the surrounding areas too.