Tuesday, July 13, 2010

There's a theme here...

You know how you have those days (or weeks, or months) when nothing goes right? I think I had one of them last week.

Months ago, I volunteered (along with some others) to do the morning tea for the Inner City Guild meeting. We were all fired up and rashly promised a Christmas in July theme. Well, life got in the way and people had other things to do and as the day grew closer it didn't seem such a good idea.

My cooking plans were somewhat interrupted by a work trip to Canberra but I was still determined to stick to the theme. The sausage rolls worked out well. Then I realised that most of my kitchen equipment still resides in the now-vacated (by me, that is) marital home so I didn't have the necessary pans and pastry cutters to make mince pies. Fail # 1. So I made Christmas Cookies. The star shape was vaguely festive but the icing was exceedingly dodgy. Fail #2. (They tasted great though).

It was now late Friday evening and I had to get to the dentist for 9 am the next morning. My dentist is the other side of Sydney so it wasn't going to be a quick trip. Raced over there, tried to find some festive decorations and then raced back to make the mulled wine. Smelled great but I forgot to take the slow cooker to keep it warm. Fail # 3.

The Guild meeting was brilliant - the new location is fabulous and it was the usual lively and informative meeting. I happily knitted away at a hat in softest cashmere to keep me warm in Bendigo. I finished it later that day. Fail # 4. It's far too small. Kind of ironic that the Guild topic was tension squares.......

6 comments:

  1. Hi Yarna, you sound a little hard on yourself, great tasting cookies and mulled wine for midday Saturday sound like an awesome achievement! Very funny on the tension squares and hat though - have a well deserved time in Bendigo - I'm sure a bit of travel you are looking forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh noes! I hope this week makes up for it, and everything goes well.

    And the biscuits were delicious! Wish I could have tried the mulled wine, it smelt fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the wine, and it was beautiful! I completely abandoned my tea in favour of it. I had no idea you were so rushed in the preparations; everything was lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sausage rolls were awesome. I had two!

    I find when things start unravelling like this I'm usually trying to do too much. But I'm sure that would never happen to you... ;)

    Enjoy Bendigo! And relax!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had some of the wine, and the bickies, and the sausage rolls too (yes I'm a guts!) They were all lovely, thankyou!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I left a message but it isn't there - as I remember it was along the lines of

    the sausage rolls were all eaten(I helped there) they were delicious - win#1
    the mulled wine was all drunk - but not by me as I am on dry July - and I heard heaps of praise - win #2

    and the cookies were DELICOUS - win #3

    win#4 was that you are tops!!!!

    ReplyDelete