Monday, August 24, 2009

Greek tragedy and fine dining

This weekend I had a break from shopping for outfits for the wedding and all the attendant events. I just have to get shoes and a bag which is just as well as I am completely over it! I have not done much knitting since I got here and next to no yarn trawling.



The weather has been glorious and far too nice to be stuck inside shopping centres. I usually manage to get my morning walk in before it gets too warm. My normal route takes me past several places that have strong memories for me - the house where my family lived for many years and which my children always thought of as "home" because it was the one constant in their lives; the church where I was married and so on.



I was very indulged on Sunday. My son and almost daughter in law took me to the National Theatre to see Helen Mirren in Phedre. I love going to the theatre and to see a play so well acted by a superb cast was such a treat! After the play we went to the Wolsely for supper. This used to be a car showroom (hence the name) and is in a beautiful Grade II listed building. It is bizarre to think that such an incredible building was originally designed to showcase cars and I can't help feeling that it is much better suited to its current purpose.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, I'm so envious of your outing to Phedre - with Helen Mirren no less! Wonderful.

    It must be strange visiting being in a place with such significance from your past. Do you feel you want to go back? Do you feel it's where you 'belong'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh hello! I didn't know you had a blog until today!! Glad you've found a dress (it looks great!) and oh my, Helen Mirren! How wonderful!

    I always feel a bit weird when I go home (to my home town) - it's home, but it isn't, if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helen Mirren I too am most envious - green actaully what a treat!!!!

    ReplyDelete